Saturday, March 5, 2011

day 1


Dear caroline and jenny,
            We made it. Thank the Lord. That was the longest flight I have ever been on and ever care to be on. It was 12 hours non-stop from Philly to Tel Aviv.  On the way over I, of course, got stuck in one of the middle seats. Scott was on my right and Sus was on my left. Both of them took the liberty to decide that I was their pillow…so obviously I got hardly any sleep with the two of them on top of me (more Scott than mom, but still). We were served two meals on the flight. One was chicken with barbeque sauce, real nasty green beans, and seasoned potatoes. About 9 hours later, we had breakfast and we had the choice of either scrambled eggs with broccoli and potatoes or waffle sticks. Naturally I chose the waffles. I do NOT trust powered eggs on an airplane, or anywhere else for that matter.
            Enough about the plane and how wonderful the flight was…when we finally touched down in Tel Aviv, I looked out the window and was completely shocked. I am, apparently, extremely poorly educated on the Middle East because I was expecting to land somewhere like the Sahara desert. Stupid, I know. To my surprise, there was actually civilization. It looked like a normal city you would see in the U.S. There were highways, buildings, and grass! You could see a pretty big city from the airport and I’m assuming that’s like downtown Tel Aviv or something. (again, I don’t know anything about the middle east).
            After waiting probably an hour in the airport trying to get our passports stamped and finding our luggage, we finally got on a bus to the kibbutz. A kibbutz is basically a hotel but instead of a usual hotel, they are like villas. It’s a really cool place! I’ll take pictures and upload them tomorrow. I have to mention that we are riding in style, we have a Mercedes Benz bus J We get on the bus and got going to the hotel and right when our tour guide started talking, I straight up passed out. I was so exhausted from the flight I couldn’t keep my eyes open any longer. I would wake up periodically when everyone would laugh or say something loud but I don’t think I really missed anything. Oh wait, I only missed what our agenda is for tomorrow..oops! But thankfully, Sus is basically in charge so I just got her to fill me in at the hotel.
            The food.  Dinner tonight was so good. All the food over here is healthy, fresh, and amazinggg! I had chicken, rice, carrots, fresh bread with hummus, and some different salads. I will take some pictures of all the different salads tomorrow because they are very different over here than they are at home. Needless to say, the food is great! Mom says that if we go to a certain place for lunch tomorrow, they have the best hummus and bread. So obviously I’m hoping that we go there!
            Tomorrow is going to be a busy day. I don’t know hardly any details besides the fact that we have to be at breakfast by 6.30..oh and did I mention that we are 7 hours ahead of you? So I am going to be struggling tomorrow because I lost so much sleep. But anyway, first thing after breakfast, we are going to the Jordan River to get baptized! I am so excited! It’s going to be so cool and there will be lots of pictures taken so you can live vicariously through me J I’m almost 100% positive that my grandpa is doing the baptisms too, so that will be even better and make this such a special memory!
            It’s 2.37 pm your time which makes it around 9.37pm here and I’m going to sleep. I feel like an old person going to bed this early but whatever. I don’t have internet in my room at this kibbutz, so ill post this whenever I get some internet!

love yall!
-Sarah



No comments:

Post a Comment